Engineering Analytics, Inc. (EA) provides complete closure plans addressing site grading, erosion control, slope stability, geochemistry and water balance. In collaboration with our clients, EA develops the best strategy to manage the environmental risks associated with closure and reclamation of mine sites. We consider not only the technical issues, but also the business, economic, regulatory, political, social, and legal dynamics of a project.
Engineering Analytics also works with private and public sector clients to resolve legacy mine site issues. We have worked through the CERCLA process on several large-scale mining Superfund sites, representing the interests of both the Potentially Responsible Parties (PRPs) and the responsible public agency. We have also engaged in abandoned mine land reclamation, voluntary clean-ups, legacy uranium mining/milling sites, and large-scale surveys of state lands for agency planning and liability purposes. EA also provides third party review of closure and reclamation plans.
EA’s reclamation and closure services include:
- Heap Leach Pad Closure – Our engineers and scientists complete investigations and analyses to predict heap leach pad drain-out and water chemistry during and post closure. We use geochemical models, saturated flow models, and unsaturated flow models to optimize closure cover design and develop potential rinsing options.
- Tailings Impoundment Closure – Engineering Analytics designs take into account tailings dewatering and consolidation, seepage analyses and control, and infiltration analyses. We use state of the art unsaturated and saturated flow models to predict cover infiltration. When needed we use finite element models to predict long term tailings consolidation.
- Groundwater – Our hydrogeologic and water quality staff is experienced in contaminant fate and reactive transport modeling, development of groundwater remediation alternatives, and water resource systems modeling.
- ARD Mitigation – Our geochemists work with clients to develop operational waste rock handling plans, water management plans, water treatment requirements, and closure mitigation plans to mitigate Acid Rock Drainage (ARD) issues.
- Geochemistry – EA provides geochemical expertise for mine permitting, operations, and closure. This support includes source term development, design of static and kinetic AGP tests, pit lake modeling, fate and transport studies and modeling, modeling for discharge permitting, and forensic assessments. We employ a variety of geochemical and reactive transport models to simulate the complex geochemical environments present at mine sites.
- Umetco Minerals Corporation
- Uranium One
- IMC Agrico
- Cotter Corporation
- Newmont Goldcorp Corporation
- Magma Copper
- State of Colorado
- State of New Mexico
- State of Wyoming
- Heap Leach Pad Drain Down
- Infiltration Analyses, Cover and Liner Design
- Geochemical Modeling
- ARD Mitigation and Treatment
- Mine Reclamation and Closure Plans
- Stability and Erosion Control
- In Situ Recovery Closure
EA team members have prepared reclamation plans, cost estimates, construction specifications, and engineering designs for more than 60 mine sites worldwide.